Welcome to the HIPAA and Texas Health & Safety Code
Chapter 181 Training
This is a video training course covering the basics of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), the HIPAA Privacy Rule, and Chapter 181 of the Texas Health & Safety Code is now available online for Harris County employees and contractors who access or use an individual’s health information in their job.
Once you've watched the video, please complete the form below. If you have any questions, contact Privacy Officer Lisa L. Dahm at Lisa.Dahm@cao.hctx.net.
By watching this 75-minute presentation, you can expect to learn:
- Whether you’re a workforce member of a Harris County “covered entity” that must comply with HIPAA and protect an individual’s health information.
- If the department you work for in Harris County is not a HIPAA covered entity, whether Texas Health & Safety Code Chapter 181 nonetheless requires you to protect an individual’s health information.
- That health information is found in more places than just in the individual’s medical record.
- How you can “make a difference” by protecting an individual’s confidential information.
- What happens if an individual’s confidential health information is misused, disclosed without the individual’s permission, or is lost or stolen.
This video has been accredited by the State Bar of Texas for 1.25 hours of continuing legal education credit.
Please note that this video does not appear in older versions of the Internet Explorer browser. If you are unable to view the video in the upper left side of the page, CLICK HERE to watch it on YouTube.